What are the Vodacom APN settings for a Huawei router? Huawei is probably the most popular router brand in South Africa. You will find their devices in use across almost all networks including on Vodacom. In most instances, when you insert your Vodacom SIM card into your Huawei router, it will automatically get all the settings. However, there are instances where you will need to manually input the Vodacom internet settings for your Huawei router.
Vodacom internet settings for a Huawei router
The following are the Vodacom APN settings for Huawei routers;
- Profile Name: Vodacom internet
- APN: internet
- Access number: *99#.
- Username: leave blank
- Password: leave blank
How to set up Vodacom APN settings on a Huawei router
Those are the Vodacom APN settings for a Huawei router. But how do you configure these settings. In truth, it’s worth pointing out that Vodacom has hundreds of router models out there. Many of these are in use in South Africa. There will be slight differences in how to set up the APN on each, but the instructions given below should be helpful. For this example, we will be using the Huawei 4G LTE router;
- The first thing that you need to do is to connect your computer or phone to your router’s internet. This can be using an Ethernet cable or via WiFi.
- Next, open a browser and type the default router Huawei router I.P into the device. For the Huawei 4G LTE router, that’s 192.168.8.1.
- Press enter.
- Next log in using the default Huawei username and password. Both are usually admin.
- Once logged in, click on Network Settings or on Settings.
- Next, click on Internet Connection.
- Look for the APN section and click on the plus sign to add your Vodacom APN.
- Enter the above details.
- Make sure the new APN is the default.
- Save your and exit.
- Make sure Auto select network is selected.
Why do you need the APN
The APN is essential if you are to have internet on your mobile device. In this case, we are talking about routers. We could also be talking about phones. We have already noted that the first time that you insert your SIM into a phone, it will automatically receive Vodacom APN settings.
However, this does not always happen with routers. The good news if you are using a Vodacom provided router is that it will probably come with the APN settings already preconfigured.
There may be cases, however, where you will need to manually input the Vodacom APN internet settings for your Huawei router. Perhaps you have reset your Huawei router for one reason or the other. In that case, you may need to manually type in the Vodacom APN settings for Huawei routers.
What does APN stand for?
APN stands for Access Point Name. It’s essentially the gateway allowing you to access the internet via your device. Without these settings, you will not be able to access the internet.
In fact, the APN is one of the first troubleshooting starting points in the event that you have lost internet connectivity.
You can post any questions that you still may be having on our Vodacom forum. Our panel will be happy to look for the right answers for you. Otherwise leave a comment below.