Do you wish to learn how to hide your WiFi network on a TP Link router? If yes, then this article will show you how it’s done. We have a previous article in which we highlighted how to change your WiFi password on a TP link router. That’s one of the security measures that you can take to protect your network. Hiding your network makes it invisible to other people, adding another layer of security. So, how do you do it?
Steps to hide your TP link SSID
The following is how to hide your WiFi network on a TP link router;
- Make sure that your phone or computer is connected to the network whose SSDI you wish to hide.
- Open a browser and type in 192.168.01 or 192.168.1.1. You can usually find the default IP on the label that’s on your router.
- Log in using the default username and password. On most TP Link routers, it’s admin for both. You can also find the default login details on the router label.
- Once logged in, click Wireless.
- You can now hide the Wireless Network Name. This is also referred to as SSID.
- Untick Enable SSID Broadcast.
- Click on the Save button.
How to connect to a hidden WiFi network on a Windows 11 computer?
That’s how to hide your TP link WiFi network. You may now be wondering how you can connect to a network that’s not visible? On a Windows 11 computer, you can connect to a hidden network in the following way;
- Click on the internet icon to the bottom right of your screen.
- Click on the WiFi icon.
- Choose More WiFi settings.
- In Network & internet, click on Show available networks.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list and choose Hidden Network
- Click on Connect.
- Enter the WiFi name and click on Next.
- Type in the WiFi password.
- Click on Next and your computer will now connect to the hidden network.
Why hide your WiFi network
Now you know the steps showing you how to hide your WiFi network on a TP link router. We also showed you how you can connect to a hidden WiFi network on a Windows 11 computer. But why would you wish to hide your network?
It’s something to which we have already alluded. Most people hide their networks for security reasons. If people know that there is a network nearby, they will do everything in their power to try and hack in. It’s surprising how perfectly normal people believe they can get away with free internet.
Staying hidden adds another layer of security. Only a person who know both the WiFi name and password will be able to log in. Otherwise, they will have to guess what these details are. In South Africa in particular, it’s important to hide your network to avoid neighbors who will demand it.
This post was dedicated to showing you how to hide your WiFi network on a TP link router. It was noted that you should do this as a way of further securing your network. Other security measures that you can take are to have a strong password. Never use the names of your children as passwords. And definitely don’t use password as your password.