Are you wondering what to do with your old DSTV decoder? It’s something that you will be asking about after upgrading to a newer model. We have previously written an article that outlines the latest DSTV decoders. It was noted then that newest decoder models are the Explora and the Single View HD Zapper decoder. You are here because you have upgraded to one of these decoders from old models such as the 1110, 1131 and 1132. So, what do you do with these old DSTV decoder models when you upgrade?
What can I do with my old DSTV decoder?
The following is what to do with your old DSTV decoder;
- You can trade in your old DSTV decoder for a newer model. When you do this, you get a discount on the new decoder. DSTV will take the old decoder and they will dispose of it safely. One thing to note here is that the decoder that you are trading in needs to be active. You can’t trade in a decoder that has been lying around for some time without being used. See below for a list of decoders that can be traded in.
- In the event that your old DSTV decoder was insured, DSTV will replace it for free according to the agreed to terms.
- If you have already bought a newer decoder without taking advantage of the trade in option, it’s better to surrender your old decoder at a nearby service centre, where they will be able to dispose of it in the proper manner.
- Another option is to drop your old DSTV decoder at an e-waste recycling facility. There are a number of these in South Africa. Some of these places will pay you for the components in the decoder. However, these payments are usually rather small.
Old DSTV decoders that can be traded in
The following is a list of the DSTV decoders that you can trade in for a discount on a new decoder at any DSTV service centre;
- HD PVR 4 Tuner (UEC)
- SD PVR
- Dual View decoders
- Single View 660, 720, 720i, 910, 933, 990, 1131, 1132 decoders
How much will I get when I trade in?
In this article, we are focusing on the question “what to do with your old DSTV decoder” We noted that it’s way better to trade in your decoder when getting a newer model. But what are the benefits of trading in?
The biggest benefit is that you will get the newer model decoder at a discount. As an example, you can trade in your Dual View decoder and you will be able to get DSTV Explora for R799. The normal price for an Explora is R999.
Also note that trading is is great for the environment. DSTV ensures that the old decoders are disposed of in a safe manner. That’s important consider how harmful e-waste can be to the environment.
The above is but one permutation of what you can get when you trade in your old decoder. DSTV offers various trade-in options. As an example, you can also get 2 single view HD decoders when you trade in your Dual View decoder for only R799.
In this post, we highlighted what to do with your old DSTV decoder. Old decoders need to be disposed of carefully since they can contain components that are harmful to the environment. The best way of getting rid of them is to trade them in for newer models.
If you have already bought an Explora or any other new DSTV decoder, you may wish to take your old decoder to a nearby DSTV dealer to surrender it. You won’t get anything, but hey, you will be doing your part for the environment.