Do you wish to learn how to connect your TP Link range extender? This device is quite popular in South Africa and elsewhere. It’s useful for extending the range of your WiFi network. However, some people find it difficult to set up the TP Link WiFi range extender. We will show you how to do it in this post. You will see that it’s not that difficult. You will be done in a few minutes. Note that you have 2 options, you can connect the TP Link range extender using WPS or without WPS. We will show you both methods here.
TP-link WiFi Extender Setup WPS or QSS
The following is how to connect the TP Link range extender using the WPS or QSS functions;
- First, you need to connect the Range Extender to a power socket near your router.
- Turn the Range Extender on.
- Wait till the LED lights on the device start flashing.
- Now go to your router and press on the WPS button.
- Next, press on the RE button on the TP Link WiFi range extender.
- The 2 devices will now get connected. It doesn’t happen in a flash. You may need up to 2 minutes. You will know that the process is complete when the RE light on the range extender stops blinking.
- That’s all that you need to do. Now the range of your WiFi will be extended.
Here is how to reset a TP Link router.
How to Connect the TP Link Range Extender without WPS
You may have a situation where your router does not have WPS. So, how do you connect the TP Link range extender to such a router? The good news is that all is not lost. The following is how to connect the TP Link extender without WPS or QSS;
- First, you need to reset the Range Extender to factory defaults. With the device on, look for the reset button on the bottom. Press on it with a pin for a few seconds till it has been reset.
- Now insert an Ethernet cable into the slot on the Range Extender. The slot is on the underside of the device.
- From there, connect the other end of the Ethernet cable into the Ethernet slot on your laptop or desktop.
- Make sure beforehand that your computer is not connected to any WiFi network.
- Wait until the LED lights on the TP Link Range Extender start flashing.
- You can also connect the device via WiFi. To do that, open the WiFi icon on your computer and choose the extender. This will depend on the model that you have. If you don’t see it, click on the refresh button.
- Once the connection is made, either via Ethernet or via WiFi, open a browser and type in http://teplinkextender.net. Press enter
- Log in using admin for both the username and password.
- You will now be taken to the quick setup start page.
- Click next and select your region.
- Click next and wait while the TP Link range extender is scanning for available WiFi networks.
- Now select your WiFi network and click on Next.
- Type in your password and click on the Next button.
- Click on the finish button to complete the process. The process may take up to 2 minutes.
That’s how to connect the TP Link range extender. It can be done via WPS, via Ethernet or via WiFi. Once setting up is complete, you are free to move the range extender.
Note, however, that it needs to remain within range of your WiFi router. To get good performance, you need to have at least 3 bars on the range extender. The bars are the LED lights on the device.
You may be interested in the default IP addresses for TP Link routers
In this article, we showed you how to connect the TP Link range extender. We noted that setting up can be via WPS or via WiFi. You can also get set up using WiFi on your laptop. The range extender is a good device, allowing you to get internet beyond the range of your current router.
If you are in need of further help, post your comments on our router discussions forum. Our team will be very glad to help you. You can also leave a comment below.