Do you wish to learn how to buy data for your Telkom WiFi router? Telkom is the biggest telecommunications company in South Africa. Not only are they a giant in the fixed telephony sphere, but their foray into the mobile arena has been largely successful. Telkom mobile has become the third largest mobile network in the country, having overtaken Cell C. If you have a mobile WiFi router with a Telkom LTE SIM in it, you will be looking at ways of topping up the data on the device.
How to Buy Telkom Prepaid LTE Data
Below is how to buy data for your Telkom Prepaid LTE router. Note that you need to be a SmartBroadband Wireless contract holder to enjoy the best in terms of tariffs.
- You can buy Telkom data for your router via USSD. The USSD code to buy Telkom prepaid LTE data for a router is *180#. To use this method, you need to first top up your SIM with an appropriate amount of data, which you can then convert to Smartbroadband Wireless data.
- You can buy Telkom Prepaid LTE data using the Telkom App. The app is available for both Android and iOS.
- Telkom LTE data can also be bought online via the Self Service portal.
- You can also buy Telkom LTE data from your nearest Telkom store.
- Data can also be purchased at FNB, Standard, Nedbank and ABSA. You can do so using your banking app.
How to buy Telkom WiFi data for your router via USSD
Most people are comfortable using USSD to top up their phones. That’s another option for those looking at how to buy data for a Telkom WiFi router. The challenge here is that your SIM will be in your router. So, it’s not that easy to use USSD codes. So, what do you do?
- Most routers come with a USSD function. All that you need to do is to find out how to navigate to that.
- Dial *188*voucher card number# to top up your Telkom SIM with an appropriate amount of airtime. You can also transfer airtime to the number of the LTE SIM in your router from another Telkom SIM.
- Once you have topped up the Telkom LTE SIM in your router, you need to dial *180# to convert that airtime into a SmartBroadband data bundle. Choose Bundle purchase.
- Select Data bundle and proceed with the next steps to buy your bundle.
How to buy data for your router using the Telkom App
The following is how to buy data for your Telkom WiFi router using the Telkom mobile app;
- First, you need to open the App and sign in.
- In your dashboard, navigate to Accounts.
- Next, click on Buy.
- Choose to buy a once off LTE bundle. Please note that this should be a Smartbroadband bundle as opposed to an ordinary bundle. Ordinary Telkom internet bundles are more expensive.
- Next, choose your preferred amount of data that you wish to buy.
- From there, you can choose your payment method.
- You can now complete the process of buying a bundle for your router.
In this article we showed you how to top up your Telkom WiFi router. We were focusing on those on the Prepaid LTE (SmartBroadband) plan. You can switch to this plan by dialing *180#.
Once there, you will be able to enjoy amazing tariffs. At the moment, you can buy 5GB of data for R99. If you buy this bundle, you get an additional 5GB of Night Surfer data as part of the bargain.
So, Prepaid LTE is for those that are serious about their data. We noted in this article, that you can buy LTE data for your Telkom router in a number ways. You can use the mobile app or USSD. You can also buy at your nearest Telkom store or online via the Telkom Self Service portal.
Feel free to leave comments below or on our Forum. You may be interested in how to activate a Telkom prepaid SIM card.