How much is a SIM swap at MTN South Africa? A lot of people have been asking that question. A SIM swap becomes necessary if your current SIM has gotten damaged for one reason or the other. Or perhaps you have a type of SIM that’s not compatible with your new phone. It’s a great way of replacing your MTN SIM card while keeping your number and everything that’s on it. But do you have to pay for it on MTN? And if yes, how much does an MTN SIM swap cost?
MTN SIM Swap Cost
MTN prepaid customers do not have to pay anything for a SIM swap. However, they will need to buy a new SIM. MTN Pay as you go starter packs cost about R3.49. Meanwhile, MTN contract customers can expect to pay around R150 for a SIM swap.
How to swap your MTN SIM via SMS
That’s the answer to the question “how much is a SIM swap at MTN South Africa.” In general, a SIM swap is free. You will only need to pay the cost of getting a new SIM, which is virtually free. Anyway, in this section, we are going to show you how to swap your SIM via sms;
- First, you need to buy a new MTN SIM. You can do so at an MTN store or at Game, Shoprite, checkers or many other stores.
- Next, your need to RICA the new SIM. That’s a requirement in South Africa. All SIM cards need to be RICA registered.
- After it has been registered, put the new SIM into your phone.
- Next, dial *135# to activate the SIM.
- Dial *135*3#.
- You will now be asked to provide the number that you wish to swap onto the new SIM. Type in your old MTN number. You will also be asked for the reason for the swap.
- An SMS is delivered with further instructions.
- As part of the process, you will be asked security questions relating to the old SIM.
Why Swap your MTN SIM?
This is something that we have already mentioned. Now you have found out how much is a SIM swap at MTN South Africa. The great thing about swapping is that all you airtime, data, subscriptions that were on the original SIM, are transferred to the new SIM. Below are some of the motivations for wanting to swap your SIM card;
- The old SIM has developed a fault and no longer works properly on your phone.
- The SIM has been damaged or lot.
- You have an old SIM that does not work with your new phone.
- For other reasons.
In this post, we showed you the answer to the question how much is a SIM swap at MTN South Africa. Most people worry that they are going to be made to pay penalties when they swap their SIM cards.
However, that is not the case. An MTN SIM swap is done free of charge. However, you are required to buy a new SIM card to which your number will be transferred. You can buy that cheap all over the place.
You may be interested in learning how to rollover MTN data. That’s useful if you have data that remains at the end o the month. You don’t want to have it just expire.