Do you wish to find out how to check your MTN data balance on a router? A lot of people out there have MTN SIM cards in their routers. The network has some of the most favorable data tariffs in South Africa. Unfortunately, it’s not easy to see how much data you still have in a SIM that’s inserted into a router. That’s because routers do not work in the same intuitive fashion as mobile phones. So, what do you do to view your data balance on an MTN router?
See your MTN data balance without removing the SIM from a router
The following is how to check your MTN data balance without removing the SIM card from a router;
- You can check the data balance on your MTN router using USSD. That’s the easiest way. We will show you how to do it on a Huawei router below. The thing to note is that all mobile WiFi routers come with USSD functionality. In fact, you can also send and receive SMSs on most of them. To do that, you need to log into the router. Once that done, you can navigate to the section where you can dial the USSD code. The USSD code to check your data balance on MTN is *136#.
- Another way through which you can check your MTN data balance on a router without removing the SIM from the device is through the My MTN mobile app. Here is the MTN app for Android. Once you have downloaded the app, you need to register your number and you will be able to check your data balance from your phone.
- It’s also possible to view the data balance on your MTN router the the My MTN online portal. Again, you need to register. Once that is done, you will be able to view your balances.
How to check data balance on an MTN Huawei B612 router
Mobile WiFi (MiFi) devices have brought a lot of convenience to people across South Africa. One such device is the Huawei B315 router. The following is how to check your MTN data balance if you have this router;
- Connect your computer to your router’s internet.
- Open a browser and type 192.168.8.1 into the address bar.
- Press enter.
- Log into the device using the default Huawei router username and password. Both are usually admin.
- Now click on USSD.
- Enter the code to check your balance. In this case that’s *136#.
- Press on the Send button.
- You will receive a message showing your balance. Click on SMS to view it.
Here are the MTN APN settings for a Vodafone router
In this article, we showed you how to check the data balance on a router that has an MTN SIM in it. We noted that it’s a bit of a challenge viewing your balance on a router. Some people resort to taking the SIM out of the device before checking their balances using their phones.
The good news is that there are several ways through which you can see your MTN data balance on a router without taking this drastic step. You can do so via the mobile app or via USSD. You can also view your balances online.
With the USSD option, you need to log into your router. The steps are almost similar for all routers. Once logged in, find a section for USSDs. Send the code given above and you will receive a message with your balance. Most modern routers come with USSD functionality.
If you have comments or questions, post them either below or on our MTN broadband Forum.